Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron-367 [
Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron-367 [HMLA-367]
Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 367 was activated on December 1st, 1943 at Quantico, Virginia as Marine Observation Squadron 351. Re-designated as VMO-3 in January of 1944, it was deployed to Marine Air Group 11 on the island of Espiritu Santo, taking part in the Pacific campaigns on Peleliu and Okinawa with Piper J-3 Cubs aircrafts. It was then assigned to the First Marine Air Wing and took part in the occupation of Northern China from October of 1945 through June of 1947. The squadron was deployed twice in Guam before relocating to Cherry Point under the Second Marine Air Wing, and being deactivated on August 20th,1949.
Reactivated at Camp Pendleton on August 1st, 1966, it was deployed in Vietnam at Hue, Phu Bai in December. Whilst there, it was re-designated as Marine Light Helicopter Squadron 367 in March of 1969. Its assets consisted mainly of Bell Uh-1E Huey Gunships armed with rockets, side mounted machine guns and the TAT-101 machine gun turret. Growing to a number of twenty-five, they were used in support of the First and Third Marine Divisions, the United States Army, and the Army of the Republic of Vietnam. Reassigned in October 1969 to Marine Air Group 16 (Forward), HML-367 remained in Vietnam. HML-367's fleet Uh-1E Hueys was soon thereafter replaced with 24 new AH-1G Cobras.
Its combat tour in Vietnam completed in June of 1971, HMLA-367 relocated at MCAS Futenma, Okinawa, Japan as part of Marine Aircraft Group 36. There, the Squadron began peacetime operations using once again the UH-1E Huey.
HML-367(-) Rein deployed in April of 1975 aboard the USS Midway, the USS Hancock, and to NAS Cubi Point in support of Operations Eagle Pull, Talon Vise and Frequent Wind with a complement of nine Uh-1E's and twelve CH-46's. During the months of April and May, HMLA-367 participated in the evacuation of Vietnamese and Cambodian refugees from the mainland before relocating, in November, to MCALF Hamby. It was while stationned there that the squadron began receiving, in January of 1976, the first of 16 UH-1N's in replacement of the I3UH-1E's; the last of which was received on February 8.
On 1 April 1977, a detachment of 6 AH-1J's and 79 officers and men were added to the Squadron to begin unit rotation concept for the Cobra gunships.
HML-367 was subsequently reassigned in November 1979 to Marine Aircraft Group 39, Third Marine Aircraft Wing, at Camp Pendleton. Though unit strength had decreased as a result, it was by mid-1981 back up to 165 men and 16 aircrafts.
Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 367 spends six of each eighteen months period in Okinawa in rotation with three other squadrons, HMLAs 167, 169, and 369. There, HMLA-367 often deploys to Cubi Point in the Philippines, Atsugi, Japan, and Camp Butler, Korea, for training and to support major exercises. When back home, at Camp Pendleton, the squadron takes part in a number of major exercises and training deployments at Twenty-nine Palms, Yuma and Nellis AFB
Posted by Rodney Brewer
Nov 11 2010 06:57:32:000PM