pixel
pixel
pixel
Home
Benefits
News
entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

pixel





 
Histories for VP-4 : Patrol Squadron 4




HISTORY OF THE SKINNY DRAGONS
Notes on Earlier Squadrons Over the years cruise books and squadron histories have mentioned earlier squadrons dating back to 1928. The first squadron bearing the designation VP-4 was formed up about 1928, and operated out of Pearl Harbor. In 1939 the first US Navy patrol wings were formed and all patrol squadrons at Pearl Harbor were organized under the command of Patrol Wing Two. A new squadron numbering system was also instituted at that time, where the first number designated the patrol wing and the second number designated the squadron within the wing. All of the 21 U.S. Navy patrol squadrons were renumbered under this new system. VP-4 thus became VP-22, Number two squadron under Patrol Wing Two. VP-4 was flying all PBY-3's in 1939 when its designation changed to VP-22. Based on Ford Island, Pearl Harbor in December 1941. During the Japanese surprise attack on December 7th, seven of these aircraft were destroyed and others damaged. In January 1942 VP-22 was sent to the Philippines to aid Patrol Wing Ten. Heavy losses throughout Patwing 10 resulted in the decommissioning of three of the four patrol squadrons attached to the wing, including VP-22, in April 1942, and all remaining assets and personnel were absorbed into VP-101. VB-144 was a brand new squadron commissioned at NAS Alameda on July 1, 1943, with no connection to the above-mentioned VP-4/22. Its designation was changed to VPB-144 in October 1944. In late 1946 the squadron was demobilized, its assets dispersed, and all personnel sent home to the US for reassignment or discharge. Some confusion exists about the connection of this squadron to the current VP-4. This is because while VPB-144 no longer actually existed as an operational unit, it was kept on the Navy's books, a squadron on paper. On May 15, 1946 the designations of all VPB squadrons, whether actually existing or only on the books, were changed to VP squadrons. The ink had hardly dried on this change when in November 1946 patrol squadron designations were again changed. The new designations reflected the type of patrol squadron, and VP-144 became VPML-4. This stood for heavier-than-air, medium (twin engine), land-based patrol squadron. All still just on paper with no actual squadron existing, but this was about to change. In June 1947 new P2V-2s began coming off the Lockheed assembly line at Burbank, California, and new squadrons were needed to operate them. Thus the stage was set for the formation of the VP-4 that we know today. VPML/VP-4 History Patrol Squadron VPML-4 was formed up at the Naval Auxiliary Air Station Miramar, California on November 1, 1947. On that November 1st the squadron consisted of 59 enlisted men, 14 officers and no aircraft. On November 25th CDR Thomas F. Pollock arrived on board and assumed command as the first permanently assigned Commanding Officer. Three P2V-1s arrived in early December, on loan from VPML-1, also based at Miramar. On the day before Christmas 1947, three new P2V-2s were flown in from Burbank, the first aircraft received by the squadron for permanent custody. On April 10, 1948 the squadron's administration was moved to Whidbey Island, Washington, the squadron's new homeport, under the command of Fleet Air Wing Four. About September 1, 1948 the patrol squadron designation system in effect since November 1946 was dropped and all patrol squadrons were again simply VP squadrons. And so VPML-4 became VP-4, the name it carries to this day. VP-4 conducted an aerial photographic survey of Southeastern Alaska from Annette Island and began regular visits to pacific deployment sites. Naha, Okinawa became the new homeport of VP-4 in 1956. From this base, the squadron flew reconnaissance and ASW coverage to counter the Communist Chinese threat to the islands of Matsu and Quemoy. In 1964 the squadron completed four years of unequaled operational excellence that resulted in three COMNAVAIRPAC Battle Efficiency "E" Awards, three CNO Safety Awards, and four Arnold J. Isbell ASW Awards. Having returned to their original home of Hawaii, VP-4 began transitioning from the P-2V Neptune to the P-3A Orion in 1966. The "Skinny Dragons" went on to participate in the 1968 RIMPAC Exercise with representative squadrons from Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. During a subsequent deployment in 1972 to Cubi Point, Republic of the Philippines, VP-4 was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation for its effort during operations "Market Time" and "Yankee Station." During the 1975 deployment to Cubi Point, VP-4 participated in the evacuation of South Vietnam and the "Mayaguez" recovery operations. 1976 saw detachment operations to NAS Agana, Guam during which the squadron participated in Australia's Kangaroo II fleet exercise. In July 1978, the "Skinny Dragons" assumed the Guam Detachment and simultaneously conducted operations that stretched around the world from Cubi Point to Barbers Point, Moffett Field, Brunswick, and Sigonella. Patrol Squadron FOUR finished transitioning to the P-3B (MOD), or "SUPER BEE" in May 1979. The squadron then started a work up period for its next Cubi Point deployment, which began in November 1979. In May 1980, VP-4 returned from a very productive six-month Cubi Point deployment with a detachment in Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory. In February 1984, Patrol Squadron FOUR commenced transitioning to P-3C aircraft and had the honor of becoming the first P-3C squadron at NAS Barbers Point, Hawaii. VP-4 became the first Barbers Point squadron to deploy to Diego Garcia in January 1985. The squadron concluded this remarkable deployment by surpassing over 100,000 hours of mishap free flying. In June 1986, the "Skinny Dragons" deployed to remote Adak, Alaska; the first Barbers Point squadron to do so. In November 1987, the "Skinny Dragons" again deployed to Cubi Point. During 1987 VP-4 earned the Golden Anchor Award and the Battle "E" Award. 1988 saw the "Skinny Dragons" return to Hawaiian waters, where they participated in numerous exercises, including RIMPAC and READIEX. The highlight of the year was receiving their second consecutive Golden Orion and Golden Anchor Awards for retention, an unprecedented accomplishment for a deployable pacific squadron. 1989 saw the "Skinny Dragons" complete a highly successful deployment to Adak, Alaska. While in Adak, VP-4 conducted numerous ASW operations and participated in PACEX-89, the largest Naval exercise since World War II. Deploying to Diego Garcia in November 1990, the "Skinny Dragons" quickly established a detachment in Masirah, Oman to enforce the UN embargo against Iraq during Operation DESERT SHIELD. By early January 1991, 179 missions had challenged 3,669 merchant vessels. The embargo gave way to Battle Force Protection as war was declared on 17 January 1991. Flying 279 combat missions and 2,779 flight hours in the Arabian Gulf in support of Operations DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM, the "Skinny Dragons" provided detection and targeting, resulting in the total destruction of the Iraqi Navy. In the fall of 1991 Patrol Squadron FOUR transitioned to the newest P-3C model, the Update III. In 1992, VP-4 once again deployed to Diego Garcia, B.I.O.T. with permanent detachments in Masirah, Oman and Kadena AB, Okinawa. Deployed from May-November 1992, VP-4 resumed missions in support of Operation DESERT STORM and successfully conducted numerous multinational exercises and independent operations. Upon returning home to Hawaii, Patrol Squadron FOUR learned that it had again received the Golden Anchor and the COMPATWINGSPAC Golden Orion for retention excellence. In November 1993, VP-4 deployed to Misawa AB, Japan, and established a permanent detachment in Kadena, Okinawa. While on deployment, Patrol Squadron FOUR received the 1993 Chief of Naval Operations Aviation Safety Award for a Pacific Fleet Maritime Patrol Squadron, the Commander Seventh Fleet Award and the Captain Arnold Jay Isbell Trophy, both for Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) excellence. After completing a challenging at home training cycle, Patrol Squadron FOUR again received the 1994 Chief of Naval Operations Aviation Safety Award. In November 1995, VP-4 conducted a split-site deployment to Misawa AB, Japan and Kadena, Okinawa, fully integrating into COMSEVENTHFLT operations. During this deployment the squadron flew around the clock for seventeen straight days during the PRC-Taiwan Crisis in support of both the Nimitz and Independence Battlegroups. After a highly successful deployment, the "Skinny Dragons" continued down the path of excellence, immediately jumping into RIMPAC '96 and conducting a flawless Harpoon shot. In early 1997, VP-4 again set the West Coast standard with outstanding results on the Mining Readiness Certification Inspection, the Aviation Maintenance Evaluation (AME), the Conventional Weapons Technical Proficiency Inspection (CWTPI) and the Operational Readiness Evaluation (ORE). In addition, the squadron performed superbly during the first ever detachment operations from Point Mugu, CA while supporting the Constellation Battlegroup and Boxer ARG in JTFEX 97-1. In recognition of their superb performance, the Skinny Dragons were awarded the CNO Safety Award and the Battle Efficiency "E" award in March 1997. From May to December 1997, VP-4 completed a quad-site deployment to Diego Garcia, Masirah, Bahrain, and Kadena. While on deployment the Skinny Dragons flew over 5,600 mishap free flight hours in support of 5 Carrier Battlegroups and 2 Amphibious Ready Groups. VP-4 set new standards of mission excellence, flying over 100 armed sorties while carrying over 200,000 pounds of ordnance. Skinny Dragon aircrew and maintenance personnel conducted the first armed detachment from Doha, Qatar, flying 21 straight days with weapons and exercised the first 24-hour armed ready alert MPA posture in the Arabian Gulf. In addition, VP-4 participated in numerous bilateral ASW exercises, SAR and Med. Evac missions and Maritime Interdiction Operations, and was present during increased tensions with Iraq. Now in their twenty-sixth year of mishap free flying, the "Skinny Dragons" of Patrol Squadron FOUR proudly look forward to many more years as the leader in U.S. Navy Maritime Patrol Aviation, emboldened by their motto of "Pride and Excellence." Special Thanks go out to Richard M. Douglass for his research and his book, "A Brief History of Patrol Squadron Four, The Neptune Years 1947 - 1966"


Jul 11 2000 05:58:37:000PM


Sugar Charlie 4 (SC-4), VP-4
Midway Island, 1952



Back to Unit Page


Other Links:





© 2014 Military Advantage
A Monster Company.