125th MI Bn (CEWI)(Light)(as of 1 DEC 03)
The 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI) (Light) traces its lineage back to August 1982 with the reactivation and merging of the 25th Military Intelligence (MI) Company (See Annex B) and the 372nd Army Security Agency (ASA) Company (See Annex A). In January 1983, these two units organized and formed the 125th Combat Electronic Warfare and Intelligence (CEWI) Battalion. The Battalion then constituted and activated on 16 June 1983 into the Regular Army at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, as the 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI). The Battalion consisted of a Headquarters and Operations Company (HOC), composed of the Battalion Staff, a Company Headquarters, and the TCAE Section); Company A, a signal intelligence company reorganized from the 372nd ASA Company, composed of SIGINT assets; Company B, an intelligence and surveillance (I&S) company reorganized from the 25th MI Company, composed of IPW, CI, and GSS Platoons); and Company C, a support company, composed of maintenance support elements.
On 20 June 1986, Company C deactivated and merged with HOC to become the Headquarters, Headquarters and Service Company (HHSC). The casing of the Company?s colors marked the beginning of the new 125th Military Intelligence Battalion?s (CEWI) ?Light? support to the 25th Infantry Division (Light). The 25th Infantry Division officially proclaimed the Battalion as a ?Light? (CEWI) Battalion on 16 July 1986.
On 17 February 1987, Company E, Long Range Surveillance Detachment (LRSD) (Airborne), activated and assigned to the 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Light). It reorganized and reconstituted from Company F, 75th Infantry (Rangers) on 1 October 1985 (see Annex C). In September 1986, it became the only airborne assigned to the 25th Infantry Division (Light).
On 16 August 1997, the Battalion received confirmation from the 25th Infantry Division (Light) to reorganize and stand up provisional companies, including two Direct Support Companies (Companies B and C), which habitually supported the maneuver brigades, and a General Support Company (Company D), which derived its personnel and equipment from the reorganization of Company A to Company D (Company B retained its original unit identification, lineage and honors). The Battalion?s reorganization and MTO&E for these provisional units officially took affect on 17 October 1997.
On 16 May 1998, Company A, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Light) activated as a FORSCOM asset at Fort Lewis, Washington, in support of the newly formed Stryker Brigade (With the reorganization of the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division from light infantry to what was formally known as an Interim Brigade Combat Team now called a Stryker Brigade, Department of the Army directed the deactivation of Company A, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion as a USARPAC asset). Despite the relocation and MACOM designation, this unit retained its original unit identification, lineage, and honors. The Department of the Army then directed that the military intelligence company supporting the 1st Brigade would no longer be from the 25th Infantry Division?s military intelligence battalion but rather would be a separate company. Consequently, the 184th Military Intelligence Company reactivated on 16 May 2002 as a separate company to support the new Stryker Brigade, utilizing personnel and equipment of Company A, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion, which deactivated on that same day.
On 14 November 2001, Company F, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Light) activated at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, in support of Task Force Eagle and Stabilization Force 11 in Bosnia-Herzegovina (see Annex D). This company comprised of soldiers from Schofield Barracks, Hawaii; Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and Fort Polk, Louisiana. Company F soldiers executed missions focused on numerous intelligence disciplines, including HUMINT, SIGINT, and MASINT. Upon completion of the Task Force mission in September 2002, this unit redeployed and deactivated on 25 October 2002 at B Quad, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.
On 17 October 2003, a new provisional Company A, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Light), activated with elements of the Analysis and Control Element (ACE) already stationed at Schofield Barracks previously under the control of the HHCS.
ANNEX A (Company A)
The 372nd ASA Company constituted on 11 May 1962 in the Regular Army as Company A, 303rd ASA Battalion. On 25 June 1962, Company A, 303rd Army Security Agency (ASA) Battalion, activated at Fort Carson Colorado. In keeping with the practice at the time, the company redesignated with a cover name as the 16th Radio Research Unit prior to its arrival into Cu Chi, Vietnam, on 13 February 1966. It later redesignated again with a cover name as the 372d Radio Research Company. During its tour in Vietnam, the 372nd supported the 25th Infantry Division in intercepting enemy communications and locating enemy units in areas such as Kontum, Tay Ninh, Dau Tieng, Nui BaDen, Go Da Hau, and Trang Bang. On 15 October 1966, it reorganized and redesignated as the 372nd Army Security Agency (ASA) Company, with a cover redesignation as the 372nd Radio Research Company. During the entire conflict, the 372nd participated in twelve Vietnam campaigns, receiving five Meritorious Unit Commendations, three Republic of Vietnam Cross? of Gallantry with Palm, and one Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal, First Class. The 372nd inactivated in Vietnam on 6 March 1971. It reactivated on 1 July 1974, at Helemano Military Reservation, Hawaii. On 16 June 1983, it reorganized and redesignated as Company A, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion, retaining its original unit lineage and honors from the 372nd ASA Company.
ANNEX B (Company B)
The 25th Counterintelligence Corps (CIC) Detachment activated on 10 August 1944 on New Caledonia, using personnel of the provisional CIC detachment supporting the 25th Infantry Division at that time. The 25th CIC Detachment supported the 25th Infantry Division during the Luzon Campaign, for which it received the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation. On 25 February 1946, the 25th CIC Detachment inactivated in Japan. The need for intelligence support to the 25th Infantry Division as it battled the North Koreans in the summer and fall of 1950 led to the reactivation of the 25th CIC on 6 October 1950, in Korea. The 25th CIC Detachment participated in nine Korean campaigns while attached to the 25th Infantry Division, receiving one Meritorious Unit Commendation. Remaining attached to the 25th Infantry Division, the detachment redesignated as the 25th Military Intelligence Detachment on 24 December 1958. The detachment?s capability increased from being only counterintelligence collection to a much broader intelligence collection effort in support of combat operations. In Vietnam, the detachment supported division elements in countering enemy intelligence and collection, as well as furnishing combat units with intelligence in support of ongoing operations. On 26 December 1969, the detachment reorganized and redesignated as the 25th Military Intelligence Company. The 25th MI Company participated in twelve Vietnam campaigns, receiving four Meritorious Unit Commendations, two Republic of Vietnam Cross? of Gallantry with Palm, and one Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal, First Class. In 1978, the policy of not assigning MI units below major command levels changed, leading to the assignment of the 25th MI Company to the 25th Infantry Division on 21 August 1978. On 16 June 1983, it reorganized and redesignated as Company B, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion, retaining its original unit lineage and honors from the 25th Military Intelligence Company.
ANNEX C (Company E)
On the 3rd of October 1943, the 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional), code name ?GALAHAD?, formed to lead the way in turning the tide of battle against the Japanese Imperial Army. Organized and trained as a long range penetration force for employment behind enemy lines in Japanese-occupied Burma, it became popularly known as ?Merrill?s Marauders? for its commander, BG Frank D. Merrill. Its members were volunteers from the 33rd Infantry Regiment, 14th Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Regiment, and other units through out the Army. At the wars conclusion, the unit consolidated with the 475th Infantry. In 1954, it redesignated as the 75th Infantry.
With the outbreak of hostilities in Korea in June 1950, the military once again called upon the Ranger units to lead the way. Airborne Ranger Infantry Companies attached to Infantry Divisions to perform ?out front? work, including scouting, patrols, raids, and ambushes. Requests for volunteers went out for men who were willing to accept extremely hazardous duty in the combat zone of the Far East. The 5th Ranger Infantry Company (Airborne) attached to the 25th Infantry Division and fought brilliantly during the Chinese ?Phase V Offensive?.
Seeing the need for a long range reconnaissance asset during the Vietnam Conflict, D troop (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol) 3/4 Cavalry activated as part of the 25th Infantry Division. In 1967, this unit redesignated as Company F, 50th Infantry (Long Range Patrol). In 1969, the unit redesignated to Company F, 75th Infantry (Rangers), with the mission of conducting long range reconnaissance and exploitation operations into enemy held areas, providing valuable combat intelligence.
In 1985, the Army announced the formation of Long Range Surveillance Companies at the Corps Level and Long Range Surveillance Detachments at the Division level. Company E, LRSD, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Light) reorganized from Company F, 75th Infantry (Rangers) and constituted on 1 October 1985 at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. In September 1986, LRSD, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Light) became an airborne unit. On 17 February 1987, LRSD (Airborne), 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Light) activated into the Regular Army at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.
ANNEX D (COMPANY F)
Company F, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Light) activated on 14 November 2001, at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, in support of Task Force Eagle and Stabilization Force 11 in Bosnia-Herzegovina. This unit comprised of soldiers from Schofield Barracks, Hawaii; Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and Fort Polk, Louisiana. During this mission, Company F soldiers executed missions focused on numerous intelligence disciplines. LTC John Bird, Commander, 125th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI)(Light) retired the Company guidon in a deactivation ceremony held at B Quad, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, along with Captain Ronald Myers, Company F Commander, and First Sergeant Roy Kolden, the Company First Sergeant, on 25 October 2002.
ANNEX E (EYES OF LIGHTNING MOTTO)
The Battalion?s rich history begins toward the end of World War II. The 25th Infantry Division was called to battle in Luzon, Philippines. After completing a successful campaign in New Georgia, the division was moved to New Zealand and New Caledonia for rest, refitting, and retraining. It was during this period that the newly designated 25th Counterintelligence Corps Detachment, a unit consisting of 12 linguists specializing in interrogation and translation joined its new parent unit. It wasn?t long before the detachment moved out with its new unit to see how the ?Tropic Lightning? division would earn its name. Upon General Douglas A. Macarthur?s departure from Bataan, he made a vow which became an angry nation?s battle cry when he said, ?I shall return?. In late 1944, the Tropic Lightning division made that return possible. Their mission was to liberate the Philippine people. Once in Luzon, the division advanced and secured the town of Ben Alinon. It was here that the 25th CIC Detachment proved it belonged with the Tropic Lightning Division. Through tough interrogation of Japanese prisoners and precise translation of captured enemy documents, the detachment built a picture of the enemy?s strengths and weaknesses. This timely and accurate intelligence proved invaluable in the planning and execution of the division?s next mission to move against San Manuel and Asinan and into the teeth of the Japanese Second Armor Division. With only light anti-tank and infantry weapons, the Tropic Lightning Division destroyed the Japanese Second Armor Division and the enemy?s backbone. Enemy resistance crumbled, and the division conducted mop up operations. It was here after 165 consecutive days of combat, earning the Luzon Battle Streamer, and the awarding of the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, the 25th CIC Detachment was baptized, ?Eyes of Lightning?. Since that time, the Battalion has adopted and retained this motto as its own.
ANNEX F (BLAZON/COAT OF ARMS)
BLAZON: Azure (blue) a pale Argent (Silver Gray) overall between two mullets (a conventional five-pointed star shape, as on the American flag, which in fact represent spurs) in fess (a band drawn horizontally across the center of an escutcheon, and containing in breadth the third part of it) a sword and a bayonet saltirewise (a cross in the form of an X) Or bearing a torteaux (circle) charged with a heraldic rose of the third.
COAT OF ARMS: The shield?s colors include oriental blue and silver (gray), denoting the colors associated with the Military Intelligence Corps. The unsheathed weapons represent the ever readiness of the Battalion. The heraldic rose in the center alludes to the Sub Rosa mission of the organization (The name Sub Rosa itself is Latin and literally means 'under the rose', "from the ancient association of the rose with secrecy"). The stars symbolize the wartime service of the two original elements of the organization (Company A and Company B). The color red in the overall design of the shield indicates the original elements? decorations for their actions in World War II, the Korea Conflict, and Vietnam.
Posted by Thomas Michel
Jun 20 2004 08:50:55:000PM