pixel
pixel
pixel
Home
Benefits
News
entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

pixel





 
Histories for 35th Signal Battalion




35th Signal Battalion - History
35th SIGNAL BATTALION



Constituted 11 May 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 35th Signal Construction Battalion. Affiliated with the New Jersey Bell Telephone Company on 6 June 1942. Activated 23 February 1943 at the Signal Corps Unit Training Center, Camp Crowder, Missouri. Reorganized and redesignated 20 May 1945 as the 35th Signal Light Construction Battalion. Inactivated 5 October 1945 at Camp Polk, Louisiana. Affiliation with the New Jersey Bell Telephone Company reaffirmed on 9 October 1947. Allotted to the Organized Reserve Corps and assigned to First Army on 12 January 1948. Activated 16 January 1948 with Headquarters at Newark, New Jersey. (Organized Reserve Corps redesignated 25 March 1948 as Organized Reserves). Reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1950 as the 35th Signal Aviation Construction Battalion. Reorganized and redesignated 25 April 1952 as the 35th Signal Construction Battalion. (Organized Reserves redesignated 9 July 1952 as Army Reserve). Redesignated 15 July 1953 as the 35th Signal Battalion (Construction). Headquarters relocated to Jersey City, New Jersey on 7 February 1958. Inactivated 24 July 1959 at Jersey City. Activated 16 November 1980 at Fort Allen, Puerto Rico.



CAMPAIGN STREAMERS

World War II

Normandy (with arrowhead)

Northern France

Rhineland

Ardennes-Alsace

Central Europe





DECORATIONS

Meritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered EUROPEAN THEATER (35th Sig Const Bn cited for period 7 Jun-6 Aug 1944; GO 44 Hq, lst Army, 16 Mar 1945)



COAT OF ARMS

SHIELD: Tenne, five flashes radiating from base point argent, on a chief of the last three telephone poles palewise connected by two wires throughout of the first.



CREST: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Army Reserve: On a wreath of the colors (argent and tenne) the Lexington Minute Man proper. The statue of the Minute Man, Captain John Parker (H.H. Kitson, sculptor) stands on the Common in Lexington, Massachusetts.



MOTTO: We Carry the word.



Orange and white are the colors of the Signal Corps. The telephone poles are symbolic of the construction activities of the organization. The five flashes commemorate the campaigns of World War II. Additionally, the flashes are indicative of messages carried over the wires. The three poles and five flashes are suggestive of the numerical designation of the organization.



DISTINCTIVE INSIGNIA

The insignia is the shield and motto of the coat of arms.


May 04 2000 12:32:06:000AM




Back to Unit Page


Other Links: