pixel
pixel
pixel
Home
Benefits
News
entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

pixel





 
Histories for 244th Engineer Battalion




Lineage & Honors; Unit Crest
Lineage & Honors: >Constituted 25 February 1943 in the Army of the United States as the 244th Engineer Combat. >Battalion Activated 25 October 1943 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. >Inactivated 21 January 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey. >Redesigned 26 March 1948 as the 444th Engineer Construction Battalion and allotted to the Organized Reserve Corps. >Assigned 31 December 1948 to the 5th Army and Affiliated with the Bureau of Reclamation, Department of Interior, Denver, Colorado. >Activated 1 February 1949 with Headquarters at Denver, Colorado. >Affiliation agreement termination 30 October 1950. >Inactivated 4 December 1950 at Denver, Colorado. >Redesigned 25 June 1952 as the 244th Engineer Construction Battalion. (Organized Reserve Corps redesgnated 9 July 1952 as Army Reserve) (Fifth Army redesignated 1 January 1957 as Fifth United States Army) >Redesignated 10 July 1959 as the 244th Engineer Battalion. >Activated 1 September 1959 with Headquarters at Denver, Colorado >Relieved 30 June 1971 from assignment to the Fifth United States Army and assigned to the Sixth United States Army. 244th Engineer Battalion Campaign Participation Credit >World War II: Rhineland Ardennes - Alsace Central Europe >Global War on Terrorism: Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003-2004) Home Area: Sixth United States Army The Battalion Crest of the 244th Engineer Combat Battalion (Heavy): The Battalion Crest shares the traditional colors of all Engineer Battalions. Scarlet is for bravery and heartiness, reflecting our former kinship with the Artillery. White is for purity and honesty, reflecting both our kinship with Infantry and the secondary Infantry mission we perform. The division of the shield into two parts alludes to the technical and combat functions of the Engineers. The three pulleys represent the mission of the unit to construct, maintain, and demolish. They also commemorate the three battle honors awarded to the unit for services in World War II. The rectangle, symbolic of a bulldozer blade, refers to the units mission and the boundaries of Colorado, where the unit was activated. The motto below the shield is "Construction Conquers" - the unit motto. The 244th Engineer Combat Battalion is part of the 96th Regional Readiness Command.

Posted by Jeffrey Dale
Jun 01 2004 08:45:36:000AM




Back to Unit Page


Other Links: