pixel
pixel
pixel
Home
Benefits
News
entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

pixel





 
Histories for 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment




1st Battalion - 182nd Infantry Regiment (Mech
1st Battalion - 182nd Infantry Regiment (Mechanized) The 1st Battalion, 182nd Infantry Regiment traces its origins to the North Regiment which was constituted and organized on 7 October 1636 from existing train bands at Charlestown, New Town, Watertown, Concord, and Dedham. It was redesignated on 10 March 1643 as the Regiment of Middlesex. The unit was divided into two regiments on 13 October 1680, one designated as the Lower Regiment of Middlesex, to include the town of Charlestown, Cambridge, Watertown, Woburn, Malden and Reading. It was redesignated prior to 1733 as the 1st Regiment of Militia of Middlesex. The unit was mustered into active service on 19 April 1775; it was reorganized and entered the Massachusetts Army as Gardner's Regiment on 23 April 1775 (Elements continued in the county as as 1st Middlesex County Regiment as depot and for local defense). It was redesignated as Bond's Regiment upon the death of Colonel Gardner, on 3 July 1775. The unit was again redesignated on 1 January 1776 as the 25th Continental Regiment; and as the 7th Massachusetts Regiment, Continental Line, on 1 January 1777. It was mustered out of continental service on 12 June 1783. The Militia of Middlesex County reorganized on 29 November 1785 as the 3rd Division, Massachusetts Militia (including all flank and volunteer militia companies). Flank (volunteer militia) companies, 3rd Division (except Charlestown companies) were ordered to form part of the Elite or Advanced Corp of the Massachusetts Militia for three months service, on 6 September 1814. They served in Federal service as elements of the 1st Regiment, Elite Brigade, and other units during September and October 1814. The Light Infantry (volunteer militia) companies of the 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, organized on 1 July 1834 into the Regiment of Light Infantry, 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, including Captain Boyd's Company (Charlestown), Captain Barrett's Company (Malden), Captain Woodbury's Company (Woburn), Captain Carne's Company (Charlestown), and Captain Oliver's Company (South Reading). The Regiment of Light Infantry, 1st Brigade, 3rd Division was redesignated on 17 April 1840 as the 4th Regiment of Light Infantry, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia (upon disbandment of all common militia in the state.) It consolidated with the 1st Regiment of Artillery, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia (rganized itself on 17 April 1840 from existing units), and reorganized on 26 February 1855 as the 5th Regiment of Infantry, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia to include the following companies: Company A, Concord Artillery; Company B, Somerville Light Infantry; Company C, Waltham Artillery; Company D, Charlestown Artillery; Company E, Winchester Light Infantry; Company F, Cambridge Light Infantry; Company G, Woburn Light Infantry; and Company H, Charlestown City Guard. The unit was ordered into active service for the defense of Washington on 19 April 1861 with attached companies from the 1st and 7th Regiments of Infantry, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, and Major Cook's Light Artillery Company. It was mustered into federal service on 1 May 1861 at Washington, D.C., for three months service, and assigned to the 1st Brigade, 3rd Division. It participated in the first battle of Bull Run before being mustered out on 1 August 1861 at Boston. The unit was again mustered into federal service between 16 September - 8 October 1862 at Wenham for nine months service; during which time it served in the Department of North Carolina and with the XVIII Corp. It was mustered out on 2 July 1863 at Wenham. It was mustered into federal service at Camp Meigs, Readville, PA, in July 1864 for 100 days service and served with the VIII Corp in the Middle Military Division (Baltimore and vicinity) before being mustered out on 16 November 1864 at Readville and resumed state status. The unit was again mustered into federal service between 30 June - 2 July 1898 at South Framingham as the 5th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and stationed at Middletown, PA, and Greenville, SS; it was mustered out on 31 March 1899 at Greenville and resumed state status (the Land forces of the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia were redesignated as the Massachusetts National Guard on 15 November 1907). It was mustered into federal service on 25 June 1916 at Framingham for Mexican Border and stationed at El Paso, TX, and mustered out between 10-15 November 1916. It was mustered again into federal service on 25 July 1917 and drafted into federal service on 5 August 1917. It was redesignated on 11 February 1918 as the 3rd Pioneer Infantry and served in First Army area in France before being demobilized between 25-31 July 1919 at Camp Devens, MA. The unit reorganized on 12 July 1920 as the 5th Infantry Massachusetts National Guard. It was redesignated as the 182nd Infantry ans assigned to the 26th Division on 21 March 1923. It was subsequently reorganized and federally recognized on 11 April 1923 with headquarters at Charlestown. The unit was inducted into federal service on 16 January 1941 at Charlestown. It was relieved from the 26th Division and assigned to the Task Force 6814, on 14 January 1942 (Task Force 6814 was redesignated as the Americal Division on 27 May 1942). The 2nd Battalion inactivated on 29 November 1945 at Fort Lewis, WA. The regiment (less 2nd Battalion which inactivated on 2 December 1945 at Fort Lawton staging area, WA) was relieved from the Americal Division and assigned to the 182nd Regimental Combat Team on 8 July 1946. It reorganized and was federally recognized on 5 December 1946 with headquarters at Charlestown. Its Headquarters relocated to Melrose on 30 September 1955. The unit was relieved from the 182nd Regimental Combat Team on 1 May 1959 and reorganized as the 182nd Infantry under the Combat Arms Regimental System. Units ■HHC ■Company A - Stoughton ■Company B - Melrose ■Company C - Braintree ■Company D - Middleboro ■Company E - Weymouth Facilities ■Dorchester, MA

Posted by Rodney Brewer
Oct 31 2010 05:32:25:000PM




Back to Unit Page


Other Links:





© 2014 Military Advantage
A Monster Company.