1st Battalion, 14th Infantry Regiment
1st Battalion, 14th Infantry Regiment
The mission of the 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry Regiment, "Golden Dragons," is to deploy on short notice to any environment providing sustained land dominance to meet national security objectives while taking care of soldiers and families.
The 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry Regiment was originally constituted on 3 May 1861 in the Regular Army as Company A, 2nd Battalion, 14th Infantry. It was organized on 8 July 1861 at Fort Trumbull, Connecticut. It was reorganized and redesignated on 30 April 1862 as Company A, 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry. During the American Civil War, the unit participated in 12 campaigns: Peninsula, Manassas, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Virginia 1862, and Virginia 1863.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 21 September 1866 as Company A, 14th Infantry. During the Indian Wars, the unit participated in 4 campaigns: Little Big Horn, Bannocks, Arizona 1866, Wyoming 1874. The unit was consolidated on 26 July 1869 with Company G, 45th Infantry, Veteran Reserve Corps (which had been first constituted on 21 September 1866), and the consolidated unit was designated as Company A, 14th Infantry.
The unit participatd in the Manila campaign in the Philippines during the Spanish American War. It participated in two campaigns, Yang-tsun and Peking, as part of the China Relief Expedition. It later returned to the Philippines to take part in the suppression of the Philippine Insurrection, participating in another 4 campaigns: Manila, Laguna de Bay, Zapote River Cavite, and Luzon 1899.
The 14th Infantry as a whole was assigned on 27 July 1918 to the 19th Division and relieved on 14 February 1919 from assignment to the 19th Division. It was assigned on 10 July 1943 to the 71st Light Division (later redesignated as the 71st Infantry Division). As part of the 71st Infantry Division the unit participated in two campaigns of the Second World War, Rhineland and Central Europe. Following the Second World War the 14th Infantry was relieved on 1 May 1946 from assignment to the 71st Infantry Division. The 14th Infantry as a whole was inactivated on 1 September 1946 in Germany.
The 14th Infantry was reactivated on 1 October 1948 at Camp Carson, Colorado and was assigned on 1 August 1951 to the 25th Infantry Division. As part of the 25th Infantry Division the unit participated in 5 campaigns of the Korean War: UN Summer-Fall Offensive, Second Korean Winter, Korea Summer-Fall 1952, Third Korean Winter, and Korea Summer 1953.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 February 1957 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battle Group, 14th Infantry, and remained assigned to the 25th Infantry Division with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. It was again reorganized and redesignated on 26 August 1963 as the 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry. Serving in Vietnam with the 4th Infantry Division, 1-14th Infantry participated in 13 campaigns: Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase II, Counteroffensive Phase III, Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V, Counteroffensive Phase VI, Tet 69/Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive, and Counteroffensive Phase VII.
The Battalion was relieved on 15 December 1970 from assignment to the 4th Infantry Division and assigned to the 25th Infantry Division.
In 2006, as part of the transformation of 2nd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, the 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry was reorganized and reassigned to the reorganized and redesignated 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division
■A Company "Reaper"
■B Company "Bushmaster"
■Schofield Barracks, HI
Posted by Rodney Brewer
Oct 30 2010 02:14:38:000PM