pixel
pixel
pixel
Home
Benefits
News
entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

pixel





 
Histories for 2nd Battalion, 13th Infantry Regiment




2nd Battalion, 13th Infantry Regiment Unit Hi
2nd Battalion, 13th Infantry Regiment Unit History 2nd Battalion, 13th Infantry Regiment "First at Vicksburg" War Department files of the 13th Infantry Regiment prior to its reconstitution in 1861 are unavailable. However, it has been established that during the first postwar expansion of the United States Army following the revolution, the 13th Regiment of Infantry was formed on July 16, 1798, and was mustered out January 11, 1800. During the War of 1812 the unit was consolidated with the 5th Infantry and took part in a series of long engagements. Most of these battles took place in the Niagara Frontier, in and around Buffalo, New York culminating in the war's final battle at Plattsburg. The regiment was reconstituted in May of 1861. General W.T. Sherman was the colonel of the regiment and Phillip Sheridan was one of its captains. During the Civil War, the unit earned its motto "First at Vicksburg". It participated in the battles of Hayes Bluffs, Champion Hill, Black River, and on May 19, 1863 took part in the assault at Vicksburg. The 13th Regiment was the only union unit to plant its colors on the Confederate positions. From 1867-71 the regiment fought in the Indian Wars in Montana and North Dakota. In June of 1889 the regiment was sent to Cuba and led the 1st Infantry's attack on San Juan Hill, capturing the Spanish flag. The regiment saw action in the Philippines during the Philippines Insurrection, and was assigned to the 8th Infantry Division in June of 1918. As a member of this organization, the regiment did not participate in World War I. In 1939 the regiment was ordered to the canal zone and a year later, after having been disbanded, was reconstituted at Camp Jackson, South Carolina. The regiment found itself fighting through the hedgerows of France in July of 1944 as a member of the 8th Infantry Division and led the drive to the Ay River. The regiment spent ten months in combat in Northern France, The Rhineland and Central Europe. It occupied a position on the Siegfried Line and was involved in the bloody battle for Hurtgen Forest. Following World War II the unit was inactivated at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri on 18 November 1945. On 17 August 1949 the regiment was activated once again at Fort Jackson, South Carolina where it remained until 1 August 1957. It was subsequently relieved from assignment to the 8th Infantry Division and reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Company, 22nd Battle Group, 13th Infantry Regiment and assigned to the 9th Infantry Division at Fort Carson, Colorado under the Combat Arms Regimental System. On 31 January 1962 the regiment was inactivated at Fort Carson, Colorado. On 27 March 1963 the regiment was redesignated as the 2nd Battalion, 13th Infantry Regiment and was releived from assignment to the 9th Infantry Division and assigned to the 8th Infantry Division. Five days later the battalion was activated in Germany and remained there until 1 August 1984 when it was inactivated and relieved from assignment to the 8th Infantry Division. On 27 Febuary 1987, the 13th Infantry Regiment was transferred to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and reorganized at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Currently, the 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the 13th Infantry Regiment conduct Basic Combat Training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. 213th.htm213th.htm Updated: 24 February 2000

Posted by Dennis Padgett
May 15 2007 02:23:44:000AM




Back to Unit Page


Other Links: