pixel
pixel
pixel
Home
Benefits
News
entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

pixel





 
Histories for USS Orvetta IX-157




The History of the USS ORVETTA (IX-157)
NOTE: The following comes from "The Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships," Vol 5, pp.178-179, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Naval History Division, Washington, D.C. The second ORVETTA (IX-157), built for the U.S. Shipping Board as TAMPA in 1920 by the Oscar Daniels Co., in Tampa, Florida, was acquired by the Navy on bareboat charter basis from the Maritime Commission 4 April 1944; named ORVETTA and converted by the Matson Navigation Co., San Francisco; and commissioned 7 June 1944, Lt. Comdr. G.L. Armstrong in command. By 18 June the barrack ship ORVETTA had reported for duty with Service Force, Pacific. She operated first with ServRon 8, headquartered at Pearl Harbor. Then, as the war moved west and north from the south Pacific, she shifted to ServRon 10 to provide housing facilities at advanced bases. By the end of the war she was in the Philippines, anchored in San Pedro Bay. Following the signing of the official surrender documents, ORVETTA steamed north to Okinawa, thence to Shanghai, arriving 30 September. She remained at Shanghai until 10 May 1946 when she was taken in tow by SERRANO (ATF-112) for return to the Philippines. (Note: On the first or second night out, a storm caused the tow cable to break, resulting in the destruction of the Orvetta's forward winch. With much difficulty, the engines were started just as the ship's roll was only two degrees short of capsizing. The Orvetta completed the journey under her own power. Footnote by member of the crew, Fireman 1st Class David W. Dorsey). Arriving at Subic Bay 18 May she continued to serve as a barrack ship until decommissioned at the end of the year. Struck from the Naval Register 10 June 1947, she was returned to the Maritime Commission, at Subic Bay, 26 January 1948. Four months later she departed for the United States and was sold for scrap in early 1949. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------


May 13 2004 03:36:24:000PM




Back to Unit Page


Other Links: