pixel
pixel
pixel
Home
Benefits
News
entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

pixel






 
Naval Security Group: Edzell, Scotland



Naval Technical Training Center, Corry Station, Pensacola, FL


The current mission of Corry Station is to provide technical and military training in Cryptology, Information Operations, Electronic Warfare, Instructor Training, and Information Systems to produce well-trained, motivated and disciplined personnel in support of U.S. and Allied operational forces. Today, Corry has detachments located throughout the continental United States, and graduates approximately 7,000 students annually. Its role has changed over the years, but traditional pride still dwells within NTTC Corry Station as it continues to provide the finest and best-trained personnel in the military. In 1960, the Naval Communications Technician School was transferred from Imperial Beach, California, to a newly refurbished Corry Field, now renamed Corry Station. This transfer began a rejuvenation of the Corry Field site as major Navy training facility. Today, it is known as the Naval Technical Training Center, Corry Station, and it hosts the Navy?s cryptology, electronic warfare, and optical/instrumentation schools. The hangars built in 1934, internally highly modified for their specific training purposes, remain today as visual reminders of those early days of Navy flight training. The control tower also remains intact and has been designated an historic structure. Corry Field was the first auxiliary field established by the Navy to support flight training operations at the Pensacola Flight School. In 1922, a site north of Pensacola was obtained from the Escambia County Commission on a no-cost, five-year lease. The airfield constructed at this site was named Corry Field in honor of LCDR William M. Corry, who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his attempt to rescue a fellow crew member from a burning aircraft. At the end of the lease period the site was deemed too small, and a new and larger site?located three miles north of NAS Pensacola?was presented to the Navy by the County Commission. The Corry Field name was applied to this new site, and the older field became an outlying field (OLF) known as Old Corry Field. Old Corry Field Road in Warrington remains today as a vestige of this early symbol of Navy flight training. Flight training began in 1927 at the new Corry Field, and in 1932 construction of hard surfaced runways, hangars, and other buildings transformed Corry Field into a first-class training field, one of the first airfields in the United States to be hard surfaced. The new Corry Field actually consisted of two separate fields, each with three asphalt runways. The longest runways were 4200 feet in length. In the years preceding America?s entry into World War II, primary flight training, fighter training, and multi-engine land-plane training was conducted there. An instructor school was also housed there. In 1943, Corry Field was designated a Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS), and primary flight training was moved to other airfields in the area. For the remainder of the war, Corry Field hosted advanced training in multi-engine land-planes, using SNB aircraft. A transport squadron operating R4D and R5O aircraft was located there as well, because the runways at NAS Pensacola were too short for the safe operation of these aircraft. At the end of the war, Corry Field was decommissioned as a NAAS, but remained an active training field until its closure in 1958. At the time of closure, Corry Field provided the basic instrument portion of primary training in SNJ, SNB, and T-28 aircraft. (Excerpted from U.S. Naval Air Stations of World War II, by M. L. Shettle, Jr.)



Back to Unit Page


Other Links:





© 2014 Military Advantage
A Monster Company.