Constituted 19 June 1877 in the Idaho Volunteer Militia as the 1st Regiment. Organized June-August 1877 from new and existing companies. Elements in the northern Territory of Idaho withdrawn 17 September 1877 and consolidated with new and existing companies to form the 2d Regiment. 1st and 2d Regiments disbanded 1 March 1879.
Reconstituted in the Idaho Militia as the 1st Infantry Regiment and reorganized 1889-1891 from new and existing companies (see ANNEX 1). (Organized Militia of Idaha redesignatged 14 March 1891 as the Idaho National Guard.) Mustered into Federal service 7-18 May 1898 at Boise as the 1st Idaho Volunteer infantry; mustered out of Federal service 25 September 1899 at the Presidio of San Francisco, California.
Reorganized 1899-1903 in the Idaho National Guard as the 2d Infantry Regiment. Mustered into Federal service 3-6 July 1916 at Boise Barracks; mustered out of Federal service 27 January 1917. Mustered into Federal service 21 September 1917.
Regiment broken up 1 October 1917-12 November 1917 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as elementgs of the 41st Division as follows:
1st Battalion on 1 October 1917 as the 1st Battalion, 146th Field Artillery; demobilized 26 June 1919 at Fort D. A. Russell, Wyoming.
2d Battalion on 12 November 1917 as the 2d Battalion, 116th Engineer Regiment; demobilized 1 March 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
3d Battalion on 5 October 1917 as the 146th Machine Gun Battalion; demobilized 3 April 1919 at Camp Funston, Kansas.
Machine Gun Company on 4 October 1917 as Company A, 147th Machine Gun Battalion; demobilized 12 March 1919 at Camp Upton, New York.
Former 2d Infantry Regiment reorganized 1921-1926 in the Idaho National Guard as follows:
Southern elements organized as the 3d Battalion, 186th Infantry; Headquarters Federally recognized 19 March 1922 at Boise.
(Northern elements organized as the 1st Battalion, 148th Field Artillery; Headquarters Federally recognized 15 March 1926 at Coeur d'Alene - hereafter separate lineage.)
3d Battalion, 186th Infantry, redesignated 6 August 1924 as the 1st Battalion, 200th Infantry.
Converted and redesignated 1 August 1926 as the 116th Engineer Regiment (less 1st Battalion allotted to the Oregon National Guard).
(1st Battalion allotted 17 October 1928 to the Idaho National Guard; organized and Federally recognized 16 April 1936 with Headquarters at Boise.)
116th Engineer Regiment assigned 3 January 1930 to the 41st Division. Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at home stations. Moved to Camp Murray, Washington; relocated to Fort Lewis, Washington 20 March 1941. Regiment broken up 17 February 1942 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
Regiment (less 2d Battalion) as the 116th Engineer Battalion, an element of the 41st Division.
(2d Battalion as the 1st Battalion, 133d Engineer Regiment, and relieved from assignmentg to the 41st Division - hereafter separate lineage.)
Departed the San Francisco Port of Embarkation on 22 April 1942 and landed in Australia: 14 May 1942. Committed to combat in New Guinea and landed there on 5 January 1943.
116 Engineer Battalion redesignated 18 March 1943 as the 116th Engineer Combat Battalion. Landed on Biak Island 24 May 1944 and the Philippine Islands on 28 January 1945. The unit was at Zamboanga, Philippine Islands at the end of World War II (15 August 1945 location). Diring World War II, the unit and or its components, made 6 assault landings. Deployed to Japan as part of the Army of Occupation on 25 October 1945. Inactivated 31 December 1945 in Japan.
Relieved 17 June 1946 from assignment to the 41st Infantry Division. Converted, reorganized, and Federally recognized 13 March 1947 as the 3d Battalion, 183d Infantry, with Headquarers at Idaho Falls.
Converted and redesignated 12 September 1949 as the 116th Engineer Combat Battalion. Ordered into active Federal serivice 25 August 1950 at home stations. (116 Engineer Battalion [NGU]; organized and Federally recognized 5 January 1953 with Headquarters at Idaho Falls. Released 20 January 1955 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recogniztion concurrently withdrawn from the 116 Engineer Battalion (NGUS).
Ordered into active Federal service 13 May 1968 at home stations; released 6 September 1969 from active Federal service and reverted to state control. (Location of Hedquarters changed 1 February 1977 to Lewiston.)
HOMNE AREA: Northern Idaho
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT
(War with Spain):
Lguna de Bay.
(World War I):
Streamer without inscription
(World War II):
New Guinea (with arrowhead),
Southern Philippines (with arrowhead).
First US Counteroffensive,
CCF Spring Offensive,
UN Summer-Fall Offensive,
Second Korean Winter,
Korea, Summeer-Fall 1952,
Third Korean Winter,
Korea, Summer 1953.
Counteroffensive, Phase V,
Counteroffensive, Phase VI,
Headquartrers Company (Lewiston) additionally entitled to:
(World War II-AP):
Bismarch Archipelago (with arrowhead),
Company A (Coeur d'Alene) additionally entitle to:
(World War I):
(World War II):
Meriterious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered KOREA.
Meriterious Unit Commanddatin (Army), Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1968-1969.
Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945.
Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered KOREA 1950-1952.
Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered KOREA 1951-1954.
(Note): Personnel who earned the PI Presidental Unit Citation further authorized the Philippine Liberation and Independence Medals and if wounded in the PI, the Philippine Wound Medal.
The 1st Regiment, Idaho Infantry, was organized in 1890 from the following-named organizations.
Company A (Boise) organized 23 July 1889.
Company B (Weiser) organized 26 July 1889
Company C (Grangeville) organized 2 January 1890
Company D (Albion) organized 24 March 1890
Company E (Eagle Rock) organized 12 April 1890
Company F (Hailey) organized 20May 1890
COAT OF ARMS:
SHIELD: Per fess azure and gules, in chief a Spanish castle and a prickly pear cactus or, in base a key palewise argent.
CREST: That for the regiments and separate battlions of the Idaho Army National Guard.
MOTTO: Prepare the Way.
The blue is the color of Infantry, showing the original organization was Infantry. The red with the white charge gives the present Engineer colors. The castle represents the service during the Spanish-American War beyond the continental limits of the United States. The cactus symbolizes Mexican Border Duty, while the key is taken from the coat of arms of the City of Angers, France, where the regiment was stationed during World War ONE.
The distinctive insignia is the shield and motto of the coat of arms (approved 10 January 1930) and redesignated for the 116th Engineer Battalion on 2 September 1943.
1SG Charles W. Aresta, The Hawaiian Military Insignia Collectors and Study Group.