Constituted 1 January 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 389th Engineer Battalion (Separate) (Colored).
Activated 5 May 1942 at Camp Gordon, Georgia. Moved to the Desert Training Center and there expanded, reorganized and redesignated 20 August 1943 as the 389th Engineer General Service Regiment (Separate) (Colored). Arrived at Camp Butner, North Carolina 26 August 1943 under Fourth Service Command. Staged at Camp Shanks, New York, 6-23 December 1943 and departed the New York Port of Embarkation 23 December 1943; arrived in England on 29 December 1943. Committed to combat in the European Theater of Operations and landed in France on 31 July 1944. Crossed into Belgium 13 Sepember 1944 then returned to France 25 September-6 December 1944. Recrossed into Belgium 9 December 1944; crossed into Luxzembourg 26 February 1945. Entered Germany 2 March 1945. The unit was at Mainz, Germany at the end of World War-II (15 August 1945 location). Served in the Army of Occupation of Germany from 2 May-4 July 1945. Departed France 21 August 1945 and arrived at Boston Port of Embarkation 31 August 1945. Moved to the Engineer Training Center, Camp Clairborne, Louisiana where inactivatged 25 Novembver 1945. Disbanded 17 February 1954.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDITS:
DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA.
SHIELD: On a shield divided per chevron white and red, in base a silver bridge tresle bent with suerimposed floor system .
MOTTO: SUPPORFTAMUS (We Support).
Scarlet and white are the colors of the Engineeer Corps. The construction functions are portrayed by a standard timber bent and bridge floor support system. The bent is symbolic of Engineers and with the floor system indicates a completed task (approved 7 October 1942).
Insignia for sale at $4.75 each (includes postage) Contact: 1SG Chales W. Aresta, The Hawaiian Military Insignia Collectors and Study Group; 1813 Sereno Street; Honolulu, Hawaii 96817-2318 (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) Ph or fax: 808-537-2753