The 854th ENGINEER BATTALION was constituted 14 December 1942in the Army of the United States as the 854th Engineer Aviation Battalion and activated 1 January 1943 at March Field, California. Departed the San Francisco Port of Embarkation 1 December 1943 and arrived in the Territory of Hawaii on 11 December 1943. Moved toKwajalein on 2 February 1944, to Guam on 7 October 1944, to Ie Shima Island on 24 June 1945 and Okinawa 25 June 1945 and assumed duties in the Army of Occuption. The Battalion was on Okinawa at the end of World War II (15 August 1945 location). Inactivated 15 March 1946 on Okinawa. Allotted to the Organized Reserve Corps on 15 February 1949. Assigned to First Army on 25 February 1949.
Activated 4 March 1949 with Headquarters at Brooklyn, New York. Headquarters relocated to Poughkeepsie, New York on 7 March 1951. Organiszed Reserve Corps redesignatged 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. Redesignated 1 January 1957 as the 854th Engineer Battalion. Headquarters relocated to Kingston, New York, to Newburgh, New York on 31 May 1984 and to New Windsor, New York on 16 September 1991.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDITS
World War II:
Meritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered PACIFIC THEATER (854th Eng Avn Bn cited for period 1 Jan-1 Apr 1945; GO 115 Hq, AAFPOA, 15 Jul 1945).
COAT OF ARMS
SHIELD: Gules, on a pale argent a pallet of the first, overall a saltire coped of the second surmounted by a hurt fimbriated and charged with a mullet silver, voided azure.
CREST: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Army Reserve: On a wreath of the colors (argent and gules) the Lexington Minute Man proper. The Minute Man, Captain John Parker (H. H. Kitson, sculptor) stands on the common in Lexington, Massachusetts.
MOTTO: A Toute Outrance (Beyond Measure)
Red and white are the colors of the Corps of Engineers. The narrow red stripe on the white symbolizes the Meritorious Unit Commendation of World War II. The white rimed blue disc simulates a lagoon and the Islands of the Pacific. the white star on blue, suggested by the Air Force insignia, alludes to the former aviation classification. The saltire, taken from the Arms of Amsterdam, represent a landing strip and also refers to the Dutch founding of Poughkeepsie, the organization's former Headquarters. The blue star refers to the period when Poughkeepsie was the capital of the State of New York and to New York's ratification of the Constitution of the United States.
The distinctive insignia is the shild and motto of the coat of arms with the sample of the insignia approved for wear on 31 October 1956.
The US Army Museum at Schofield Barracks is seeking photos and narratives of the service of this unit. Please contact: 1SG Charles W. Aresta, The Hawaiian Military insignia Collectors and Study Group, 1813 Sereno Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96817-2318 (Ph9ne of fax: 1-808-537-2753)