Constituted 25 February 1943 in the Army of the United States as the 290th Engineer Combat Battalion and activated 30 December 1943 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. Departed the New York Port of Embarkation on 22 October 1944 and arrived in England 2 November 1944. Committed to combat in the European Theater of Operations and landed in France on 31 December 1944. The battalion was at Boxberg, Germany at the end of World War II (15 August 1945 location). Served in the Army of Occupation of Germany from 2 May-31 October 1945. Inactivated 31 August 1946 in Germany.
Redesignated 30 July 1947 as the 409th Engineer Combat Battalion.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDITS:
World War II:
DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA. We are looking for veterans of this organization for information and photos of the unit plus a copy of the unit designed and manufactured distinctive insignia and pocket patch. Please contact:
1SGT Charles W. Aresta, The Hawaiian Military Insignia Collectors and Study Group; 1813 Sereno Street; Honolulu, Hawaii 96817-2318 (ph or fax: 808-537-2753) or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org